This book is based on weekly commentaries on economic issues published in the Sunday Island. The book covers an important period where a number of domestic and global events influenced the economy of Sri Lanka at regular intervals - a crisis in the electric power sector, the international oil price hike, GSP-Plus scheme coming into operation, operationalization of the Pakistan-Sri Lanka Bilateral Free Trade Agreement, steps to operationalize SAFTA, WTO debates before the Hong Kong Summit and the aftermath, growth of the Business Process Outsourcing industry, etc. The period under consideration also saw increasing inflow of aid, economic policy discussions and debates before the Presidential Election.
Table of Contents
Part1: Economic Debates
- Mahathir's Malaysia : Lessons for Sri Lanka
- Economic Debate in the Comfort Zone
- Unfashionable Economics and the Road Ahead
- Regaining Food Security in Agriculture Development
- Limitations of the Neo-Liberal Economic Model
- A Mandate for a Mixed Economy
- Unfashionable Economic Growth: Making Sense of the Picture
- Connecting Economic Growth to Political Defeat: The Legacy of Grand Reforms
- In Search of Economic Middle Ground
Part II: Macroeconomy
- Why is the Rupee Sliding against the Dollar?
- Sovereign Rating for Sri Lanka?
- Problems of Financial Resource Allocation to the Regions
- Unemployment: Why are Jobs Created in the Public Sector?
- Regaining Rural Economic Prosperity
- New Dimensions in Macroeconomic Management
- Demographic Transition: Missing the Dividend and Facing the Burden
Part III: Industrialization
- A New Agenda for the Industrial Association of Sri Lanka
- GSP-Plus Scheme: Will it Support Ready-Made Garment Exports to EU?
- Industrial Closure: New Developments in the Horizon
- Industrialization Debate and the Way Forward
- Developing the Mining and Mineral Sector
Part IV: Infrastructure
- Public-Private Partnership for Growth and Development
- Electricity Sector: Overcoming the Crisis
- e-Sri Lanka: The Challenge
- BPO Industry in Sri Lanka
Part V: Regionalism
- Common Currency for India and Sri Lanka ?
- Trade in Services: WTO and Sri Lanka
- Pakistan-Sri Lanka Bilateral FTA
- Economic Integration in South Asia
- SAFTA: A Regional Non-Starter?
- Indian Ocean Regionalism: Another Non-Starter?
- Towards an Asian Economic Community
Part VI: Global Scenario
- Oil Price Hike and Quest for Energy
- Coping with the Oil Price Surge
- ‘Make Poverty History'? G-8 Summit at Gleneagles and Beyond
- Aid to Achieve MDGs by 2015: The Challenge Ahead
- WTO Ministerial at Hong Kong : Key Technical Issues
- Repositioning Sri Lanka at the WTO Ministerial at Hong Kong
- WTO Hong Kong Ministerial Outcome and Beyond
- Liberalization of the Movement of Natural Persons
Reviews and Highlights in the media
“Where managing change is crucial”
The Island, 15 November, 2006 - This book is based on weekly commentaries on economic issues published in the Sunday Island for about 10 months from the last week May 200t to March 2006….
Download the news article (PDF Format 389KB)
“Contemporary Economic Issues: Sri Lanka in the Global Context”
Reviewed by Dr. Athula Ranasinghe
Sunday Island, 17 December, 2006 - The book is a collection of articles written by the author during 2005-2006. The author had been contributing to the Sunday Island to continue the newspaper's decade long “Kanes” column under the pen name “the Economist.”
Download the news article (PDF Format 499KB)
“Two Books released by the Sri Lanka Economic Association”
Sunday Island , 28 May, 2006
Download the news article (PDF Format 296KB)
Daily News, 27 May, 2006 - Dr. Saman Kelegama presented the first copy of the book “Contemporary Economic Issues in Sri Lanka in the Global Context” compiled from weekly commentaries on economic issues published in the Sunday Island in 2005 and 2006, to President His Excellency Mahinda Rajapaksa at Temple Trees.
“Books of literary and economic value launched”
Daily Mirror, 27 May, 2006 - Two books being compilations of work carried out and writings titled, Public- Private Sector Partnership in Economic Development: A Case for Sri Lanka and Contemporary Economic Issues: Sri Lanka in the Global Context was launched recently by the Sri Lanka Economic Association.
Download the news article (PDF Format 99KB)
“Book Release: Contemporary Economic Issues: Sri Lanka in the Global Context”
Sunday Island , 21 May, 2006 - Sri Lanka Economic Association will release the book: Contemporary Economic Issues: Sri Lanka in the global Context. The book is based on a collection of 40 essays that appeared in the “ Sunday Island ” during May 2005- March 2006.
Download the news article (PDF Format 97KB)